Description of the eduGAIN Service
The eduGAIN interfederation service connects identity federations around the world, simplifying access to content, services and resources for the global research and education community. The eduGAIN consortium is comprised of many legal entities.
We are fans of privacy, and we are proud to say that the eduGAIN service is designed for minimal disclosure of end users personal data. eduGAIN DOES NOT process or have access to any transaction between an Identity Provider and Service Provider or any end user personal data as part of the authorisation process. eduGAIN provides advice and guidance to Identity Providers and Service Providers on how to meet GDPR requirements as part of its Best Current Practice documentation.
To view the general Privacy Notice for GÉANT, please visit the GÉANT website.
Why We Process Personal Data
eduGAIN processes personal data to support running the eduGAIN Steering Group and the administration of the eduGAIN service.
eduGAIN processes a small amount of end user personal data to monitor use of its website for security and statistical purposes.
eduGAIN processes personal data that is made available in metadata aggregates provided by identity federations that participate in eduGAIN. This data is publicly available, but eduGAIN has specific permission to use this metadata via the signed eduGAIN Declaration with each member federation.
What Personal Data We Process
eduGAIN processes the following information:
- Statistical information and logs for the edugain.org and technical.edugain.org website. We collect the usual web server logs, i.e. timestamp of access, IP address which requested the page, the page being requested, the HTML result code, etc. GÉANT has a legitimate interest in this data processing.
- Contact name, surname, name, surname, email and affiliation of eduGAIN Steering Group contacts. eduGAIN asks for the consent of individuals on the Steering Group before publishing and using this data.
- Personal data made available by identity federations participating in eduGAIN in publicly available metadata streams is processed as part of the eduGAIN Technical Database and the creation of the eduGAIN metadata aggregate. This data may include name, surname, email, phone number and affiliation to the entity. eduGAIN strongly advises identity federations to use function contacts rather than the personal ones. GÉANT has a legitimate interest in this data processing.
Who Do We Share Data With?
Personal data gathered for website statistics is only shared within the GÉANT Association and with the eduGAIN Operational Team for management and communication purposes.
eduGAIN Steering Group delegate personal data is shared with other members of the eduGAIN Steering Group and the eduGAIN Operations Team. This data may also be made publicly available on the eduGAIN Technical website with the consent of the SG member in question.
Personal data in federation metadata is made publicly available by the identity federations in question. To view this data, please see the eduGAIN Technical Database.
Personal Data Retention
Analytical data for website statistics is currently retained permanently.
Data relating to eduGAIN Steering Group members is retained for the period of membership of the Steering Group.
We support the following processes to ensure the security of your data:
- Minimisation of personal data we collect;
- Managing, limiting and controlling access to personal data;
- Resilience of processing systems and services;
- Regular testing of the effectiveness of measures implemented.
You have the right to ensure:
- We process your data fairly and lawfully;
- Your data is accurate (to rectify data released by your home organisation, please contact directly);
- The data we collect is not excessive but only the data we require to provide the service;
- Your data is secure;
- Your personal data is securely destroyed when no longer required
You also have the right to ask what personal data we hold about you, and to complain to the Supervisory Authority (Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens at https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl) about our data processing activities if you feel your data is not being managed as described here.
|Data Controller and Contact||Data Protection Officer
Dutch Data Protection Authority